Filled with an irresistible vanilla pastry cream, both kids and adults alike will love these classic fruit tarts.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes + 2 hours chilling time
Total Time: 2 hours, 40 minutes
1 1/2 cups Good 4 U Fresh Fruit Thompson Seedless Green Grapes, halved lengthwise
12 store-bought frozen 2 1/2-inch tart shells
4 egg yolks
1 1/2 cups 3.5% homogenized milk, divided
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup cornstarch
2 tbsp cold unsalted butter, cubed
2 tsp vanilla extract
- Bake tart shells according to package directions; let cool completely.
- Whisk together egg yolks, 1/4 cup milk and sugar until blended and smooth. Whisk in cornstarch until very smooth.
- Meanwhile, heat remaining milk in saucepan set over medium-high heat just until bubbles start to form around edges (do not boil).
- Gradually whisk hot milk into egg yolk mixture; return to saucepan. Cook over medium heat, whisking constantly, for 1 to 2 minutes or until custard starts to thicken.
- Remove from heat and stir in butter and vanilla; transfer to bowl. Press piece of plastic wrap directly on top of surface of pastry cream. Let cool to room temperature; refrigerate for 2 to 3 hours or until chilled completely.
- Spoon pastry cream into prepared tart shells; top with grape halves. Serve cold.
- For a professional finish, heat 2 tbsp apricot jam or jelly in a small saucepan set over medium heat until melted. Brush over grapes.
- For quick and easy tarts, fill with vanilla pudding and top with grapes.