These baked-not-fried donuts are super-moist and bursting with zippy lemon flavor. Bonus – they’re prepared like muffins so they’re ready in a snap.
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 35 minutes (+ 40 minutes cooling time)
Makes: 12 donuts
2 Good 4 U Lemons, divided
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 cup sour cream
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup unsalted butter, melted
1 cup icing sugar
1 tbsp honey
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Grease or spray 12-mold donut pan. Zest 1 lemon to make 1 tsp zest. Squeeze lemons to make 1/2 cup juice. Reserve zest and juice separately; set aside.
- Whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. In separate bowl, whisk together egg, sour cream, 1/3 cup reserved lemon juice and vanilla. Whisk in sugar and butter; whisk into flour mixture until blended.
- Spoon heaping 2 tablespoonfuls of batter into each donut mold. Bake for 12 to 15 minutes or until tester inserted into center of each donut comes out clean. Transfer to rack; let cool in pan for 10 minutes. If necessary, reinforce donut holes with handle of wooden spoon. Transfer donuts directly to rack; let cool completely.
- Whisk together icing sugar, 4 tsp reserved lemon juice (reserve any remaining lemon juice for another use), honey and reserved zest. Dip tops of donuts into glaze; let stand until set.
- Garnish donuts with fresh lemon zest after glazing if desired.
- If you don’t have a donut pan, bake batter in mini muffin tins.
- Fold in poppy seeds for lemon and poppy seed donuts.